Mica Paris plays the Jazz Cafe
Published: 27 December, 2012
by ROISIN GADELRAB
HERE it comes, the night no one can agree on and the cynics call an annual disappointment – but if New Year’s Eve is always such a let-down, it’s the fault of disorganised reluctant partiers careless enough not to have consulted this page.
Here’s the choice... stock up, stay in and host the house party of all time, or present your friends with the embarrassment of riches outlined below, take a vote and head off to one of the multitude of fancy dress parties (there’s a Roger Rabbit one in there somewhere), gigs and club nights our capital has been so kind as to lay on. Here’s what’s on offer:
• Mica Paris + Nathan Watson + after party with Jazzie B, Jazz Cafe (Camden Town tube), 7pm, £45 – If you fail to make the live gig, the Jazz Cafe is kindly selling tickets to the Jazzie B’s after party for £10
• Moondance NYE 2012/2013, ft Mickey Finn, Randall + many more, Scala (King’s Cross tube), 8pm, £18-£30 – three arenas and more than 55 artists playing more than 10 hours of old skool, jungle and rave classics.
• The Ambassador’s New Year’s Eve Ball ft AntzInTheJam + DJ Black Knight + DJ Steve Harris + Jeff Automatic, Barfly (Chalk Farm tube), 8pm, £11.20 – His Excellency Victor de Milo, host of Casino Royale, invites guests to his Ambassador’s Ball, an evening of grandeur and glamour. Retro dresses, shirts and suits, military uniforms, hats, tiaras, safari suits, the exotic garments of foreign dignitaries are encouraged – the best-dressed will win bottles of champagne. Sixties tunes downstairs; live acts + classic & modern indie and electro tracks upstairs.
• Club De Fromage + Old School Indie, O2 Academy Islington, (Angel tube), 9pm, £20 – tunes to please the cheesy handbag dancers and the cool indie kids, fancy dress encouraged.
• NYE 2012 – Love/Sex/Magic with Tom Lea + Matt Ott, The Wheelbarrow (Mornington Crescent tube), free – trendy indie venue transforms into a den of 90s + 00s R‘n’B + hip-hop – a rare find.
• Gypsy Hotel NYE – Goodbye to another year, Upstairs at The Garage (Highbury & Islington tube), 9pm, £17 – bourbon-soaked, snake charmin’ rock ‘n roll cabaret.
• The Twisted Circus – New Year’s Eve, Proud (Chalk Farm tube), 6pm-4am, £19-£29 (£5 post 1am) – aerial hoopists, fire breathers, international burlesque stars and live bands, dress to impress.
• New Year’s Eve, The Old Queen’s Head (Angel tube), 8pm, free before 8pm, £4 after – fancy dress theme When I Grow Up, I Wanna Become, DJs playing hip-hop, garage, house, disco and party jams
• New Year’s Eve Lost in Space Party ft Dogstate + Diaphragm Failure + Lite Feed Frenzy, The Dublin Castle (Camden Town tube), 7.45pm, £6/£4.50 – dress code Lost in Space, get Sci-Fi
• The Lock Tavern’s Victorian Freakshow, The Lock Tavern (Chalk Farm tube), 7.30pm, free before 11pm (or in themed fancy dress) – freakshow theme, upstairs NYE Loft Party (indie + off-kilter r’n’b + hip-hop), downstairs Small Disco All-Stars (party anthems + cheese).
• New Year’s Eve – Soundtracks Who Framed Roger Rabbit Party, The Monarch (Chalk Farm tube), 8pm, £10 – Movie soundtracks, ink & paint dance-off, photobooth, lucky dip, free popcorn, animated fancy dress + more
• Guilty Pleasures v Ultimate Power NYE, HMV Forum (Kentish Town tube), 9pm, from £15 adv
• NYE Ball ft Peace + Luls, Koko (Mornington Crescent tube), 9pm, £16.87
• Shake NYE Party, Electric Ballroom (Camden Town tube), 9pm-4am, £20 – dance, indie, electro, pop, 70s, 80s, 90s feel good anthems
• I love The 80s v I Love the 90s NYE Party, The Garage (Highbury & Islington tube), 9pm-4am, £11.50
• Nightcare + White Heat present New Year’s Eve, The Lexington (Angel tube), 9pm, £15 adv – DJs Tobias, Matty and Marcus play indie, electro, pop and dancey stuff while downstairs DJ Ren Rox plays 50s/60s and 70s rock’n’roll, pop and disco.
• Mark Carroll, The Enterprise (Chalk Farm tube), 7pm, £8 adv
• New Street Soul Club, ft New Street + Cheap Cuts, 100 Club (Tottenham Ct R / Oxford Circus tube), 7.30pm, £20 adv