Bombay Bicycle Club play at Koko on Saturday
Published: 20 December, 2012
by ROISIN GADELRAB
FIVE days to the big event, so little time and so many parties. But for the hedonists and the more organised ones out there whose presents are already wrapped and under the tree, there is still an endless amount of events to take up any spare moments left in the diary. This week began with an unusual show from Japan’s superstar guitarist Tomoyasu Hotei, who played to a mainly Japanese audience with equal amounts of showmanship, dexterity and humility. Tonight (Thursday), the Roundhouse crowd will likely be more boisterous than Hotei’s enthusiastic, polite fans, as The Happy Mondays play the second of their reunion gigs with talk of Bez’s dancing making a comeback at the Lockside Lounge after-party.
• Then for something a bit more in keeping with the season, as the Jazz Cafe hosts London Community Gospel Choir on their Christmas Tour tomorrow (Friday) and Saturday.
• Lovers of cheesy 80s pop can tomorrow make up for Hyde Park’s Hit Factory gig earlier this year, which was cancelled due to poor ground conditions. Enjoy bubble-gum pop at the 02 Arena with Steps, Rick Astley, Bananarama, Jason Donovan, Dead Or Alive, Pepsi & Shirlie, Princess, Sinitta, Hazell Dean, Sonia, 2 Unlimited, Lonnie Gordon, Brother Beyond and a special Kylie Minogue and Jason Donovan duet – no prizes for guessing which song they choose.
• On Saturday – one for the all-nighters, with a programme running till 6am – check out Soundcrash’s Xmas Party featuring DJ Yoda, Trojan Sound System DJs, Mr Thing and more at Scala.
• One of the more meaningful events this week is Bombay Bicycle Club’s Koko gig on Saturday, where all proceeds go to Freedom from Torture. Part of the Freedom from Torture Festival, this is one of a month of gigs giving support to human rights, and the charity’s work caring for survivors of torture and organised violence who have sought refuge in the UK. Also playing are Trophy Wife and Dan Kroll.
• Ahead of the release of their debut single Like Gold on January 7, Bournemouth indie band The Cramatics play alongside The Vibe and Age Of Wild at The Dublin Castle also on Saturday.
• And Saturday wouldn’t be complete without a quick visit to O2 Academy Islington for mini Club de Fromage – A Small Christmas Party.
• Post-Christmas recovery events include Egg’s Boxing Day Special featuring Mirko Loko and Alex Picone, and The Big Boxing Day Bash at The Wheelbarrow.
• Happy Christmas – see you out at New Year!