The Independent London Newspaper

 

IN THE GROVE: Ban looms for Wenger

Published: 27 January, 2017
by STEVE BARNETT

ARSENE Wenger is facing a touchline ban after being charged with misconduct by the Football Association following Arsenal’s 2-1 victory over Burnley on Sunday at the Emirates. 

The Gunners boss had been sent to the stands by referee Jon Moss for complaining after the visitors were awarded a 92nd-minute penalty. 

Wenger had a heated exchange with fourth official, Anthony Taylor, whom he was caught on camera pushing, before walking to stand in the tunnel. 

An FA statement on Monday said: “Arsene Wenger has been charged for misconduct following Arsenal’s game against Burnley on Sunday. 

“It is alleged that in or around the 92nd minute, he used abusive and/or insulting words towards the fourth official. 

“It is further alleged that following his dismissal from the technical area, his behaviour in remaining in the tunnel area and making physical contact with the fourth official amounted to improper conduct.” 

Wenger had been given until 6pm yesterday (Thursday) to respond and has accepted the charge of misconduct. He could now face a hefty ban and fine. 

Afterward the game Wenger said: “I didn’t know if I was sent to the stands but I was sent out. 

“I thought I could watch it from the corridor. In the end, I went inside and watched it on television. I regret everything. I should have shut up, gone in and gone home. I apologise for that.” 

Comments

Post new comment

Type the characters you see in this picture. (verify using audio)
Type the characters you see in the picture above; if you can't read them, submit the form and a new image will be generated. Not case sensitive.